Sunday, September 19, 2010

A quick update

I am really excited, I was able to make a few changes to my schedule in Ghana, so I can spend three days at the orphanage that Emma and I are collecting the shoes for. I will also be taking some of the items everyone from home donated. The only small problem is, Emma and I will be ridding bikes to the orphanage, that is the only mode of transportation to get there. So, 75 pairs of shoes, kids underwear, toothbrushes and toothpaste, and drawing supplies, along with my overnight bag, all on a bicycle, should be an interesting feat!
While we are there we will be painting the building, cleaning, teaching English and/or just playing with the children.
The other day we had a guest speaker in our Global Studies class and her goal is to get a tree planted for every person that listens to her lecture. She has contacted someone in South Africa and made plans for us to plant 1000 trees to represent the Fall 2010 voyage. There will be a sign put up saying Fall 2010. The really exciting part is, we will be able to watch the trees grow over the years with the help of Google earth. Isn't that so cool?!

These are the experiences I am here to be a part of, hopefully to make a difference in someones life, as well as my own.
Until next time.....Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment